Man I am so boring in the Summertime. Apparently all I’m into these days is cold drinks and salads . And I also really seem to like to talk about how hot it is. Sorry for the monotony, but I just can’t help myself. My cooking is 100% based on cravings and apparently that’s all I’m craving right now. I’m also majorly craving simplicity. I want to be out playing, not inside cooking so the simpler the recipe the better. And this recipe is perfect example of simple Summer cooking. Though I’m not even sure I should call it “cooking” since it’s really just assembling. This salad requires minimal prep and can be on the table in less than 10 minutes which is practically magic in my book.
One of the things I love about Summer is all the amazing produce. Just look at what’s in season in this month alone! And the beautiful thing about great produce is that it doesn’t need much to make it into a meal. Add a little cheese, some sort of protein, drizzle some olive oil and something acidic on top and you’ve got yourself fantastic and super fresh meal. This formula works with strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, stone fruits, and, my favorite, melons.
- Cantaloupe, Honeydew or other sweet melon
- Ball of fresh mozzarella
- 3 oz super thinly sliced prosciutto
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Mint or basil leaves (or neither if you want)
- Salt and pepper
- Cut melon into cubes and place on a large platter.
- Tear mozzarella and prosciutto into pieces and place on the platter over the melon.
- Drizzle olive oil over the melon, mozzarella, and prosciutto.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over everything.
- If you’ve got some around, sprinkle mint or basil leaves on top. It’s good without it too if you don’t have any.
- Season with salt (preferably high-quality sea salt) and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.